Tuesday, January 01, 2008

A new year, a new day, a new life

Isn't it funny how when you're in your 20's you look forward to staying up late on New Year's eve - but by the time you're approaching 40 you are pumping coffee into yourself with an IV and just hoping to make it to 12:01? Well, that's how I felt anyway :)

Our family tradition has always been to "sweep in the New Year". As a child my mom would wait until the stroke of midnight, then grab an old straw broom. Propping open the front door, she'd sweep with long slow stroke, pushing the new year in the front door. It's a tradition I've followed every year, but I had no idea where it came from.

Turns out it's a New Year's Tradition she learned growing up in Pennsylvania, and actually is Eastern European in origin. Although she didn't follow all of the steps often associated with this tradition, it provides a great sense of connection for me. I can picture my Grandmother patiently using her broom just as I do, and helping to secure another year of blessings for her family.

Now if you'll pardon me, I have a pot of pork and sauerkraut to see to. Happy New Years!

No comments: