Monday, October 22, 2007

What's one more?

Well it has been a very interesting week. First, I now have another (yup another!) cat in the house. I think my fella would like to strangle me sometimes ;) OK not really - bringing this one in was his idea.

It started last Saturday night. We were watching TV when Bubba (the downstairs kitty) let out SUCH a howl! We thought he was hurt or sick, so we both ran down to check on him. And when we got downstairs he was sitting at the windows having what I can only describe as a conniption. Opening the curtain I expected to see a racoon or maybe a skunk - he is scared to death of both of them. But what I found was teeny tiny black kitty who looked at me and started the "lost kitten" cry.

Well I went outside. I wasn't really sure whether I was going to shoo her off, or what - until she stood up. What I thought was a VERy young kitten was instead a starving adult. Her fur falling out in clumps, so thin I swear I thought I could see through her. And she was walking a bit funny, like she'd been dropped. No question that this was a drop-off cat - probably tossed out of a car window. And at the worst time of the year for a black kitty, Halloween.

Before I could even ask my fella was back outside (I didn't even realize he had left!) and was holding out a can of cat food. When I opened it the kitty stumbled to me, and started wolfing it down. She ate and ate, and between bites she kept getting up and trying to rub on me. Well no way was I leaving this poor baby out to starve, but then again I knew from experience I couldn't put her with any of the others. What if she had kitty leukemia, or kitty AIDS? So I fixed up a spare room with her own new litterbox food, water and a nice fluffy bed for her to sleep in. She collapsed in relief and although she did wake up in the night and threw up (from overeating most likely) since then she's gotten better every day.

I'm still working to "de-flea" her as in my opinion she hasn't put on enough weight to stand up to flea meds yet. I have to wash the sheets every day, keep the room clean and of course I snuggle with her lots and then wash up after. But she's improving, and I think I've even found a home for her once she's better.
If I can stand to let her go, that is :) Next Monday I cart her to the vet for blood tests to be sure she's safe to mingle in the group, and if so we can start getting her ready for her new home. Yay!

Her name? Well for now, we're calling her "Sunshine" since she's definitely been a ray of it :)

No comments: